When you travel and you arrive at your hotel, you expect everything to be clean and pretty much perfect. Or at least to look decent. But you can never know how truly clean a hotel room is unless you have cleaned it yourself.
The truth is that hotels rooms are not really clean. If you have high cleaning standards like me, then you will definitely be disappointed. Cleaning services cannot spend over a specific amount of time in each hotel room (30 minutes). So, they clean only what the eye catches. There were so many times that I found hair in the bathroom or stained sheets. Just know you have every right to ask for someone to clean your room again.
No matter what, there are always some things that are filthy and full of bacteria since they are probably never cleaned.
1.Remote Control: Imagine thousands of people before you going to the bathroom without washing their hands and then touching the TV remote control. Or touching anything before the remote. Statistically, the TV control has one of the highest contamination percentages of bacteria and possible infections, such as E-coli, than anything else in the room.
2. Bedside Lamp Switch: Same as the remote, it is a room item that everybody will touch during their stay. It has way less bacteria since they have probably been transferred to the remote.
3. Door knobs: Bathroom door knob? That was your first thought, right? Nope. Actually, the bathroom door knob is the safest one to touch. When people usually come out of the bathroom, they have either washed their hands or had a bath. All the other door knobs, however, have NEVER been cleaned before. Although they may not look dirty, they really are filthy.
4. Glasses and coffee cups: It has been found that maids, only rinse the glasses and cups and put them back to their place. They might be washed once per week or month. Definitely making it the most disgusting item in a hotel room. I personally never use them. Just the thought of not having been changed makes me nauseous.
5. Floor: By far, the dirtiest part of your hotel room. What happens is that the maids have one cleaning mop for all the rooms. So basically, without knowing it, she transfers bacteria from one room to another. Your room floor will never be clean, since it has all the dirt from all the other rooms in the hotel.
What to do:
1.Use antiseptic wipes for the door knobs and remote. Many say it is better to wrap the remote in a plastic bag and use it without touching it at all.
2. Do not use any glass, plate or cup in the room. Bring your own bottles of water and order your coffee from the hotel bar.
3. Always have slippers with you in order to walk on the floor or even better shower with them. The best choice would be an extremely cheap pair of slippers (1-2 euros) that you can use once and then throw them out.